Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tomorrow a friend of ours is doing probably one of the most selfless and amazing things any human being can do.  He is donating a kidney.  If there is ever a case where a person is doing the closest thing he can to emulate God, to live his life b'tzelem Elokim, this has got to be it.  He is doing what God did and using a piece of himself to breathe life into and to revitalize another human being.  How can I complain about what I lost when he is giving up a piece of himself, a piece that he might someday need, to help someone else.  I guess the only thing that I can say on the topic is kol hakavod.  You never know where life is going to take you, and obviously for this young man life is taking him to be as close to God as possible.

I was thinking about where life takes you.  You never know what bad luck will turn to good, or, as I know all too well, good will turn sour.  We never know where luck is going to come from.  The man donating the kidney was brought into my life by a friend who had a friend who was going to be in Israel and needed a place for shabbat.  Eventually, she chose to stay, met and married a lovely young man, and now here they are- they may not yet have children of their own, but they are certainly busy with helping to keep the world's Jewish population going in the right direction.

I wish them every single bracha in the world and then some.


1 comment:

  1. I tried to donate a kidney last year. In America they would have let me but here they have a policy - if you're a woman of child-bearing age and may still want to have children, they won't let you, even though really it should have no effect.

    I'm thinking maybe I should just go for it.

    ReplyDelete