Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I took on a chumra to keep the year of aveilut for my stepfather.  From the time I was 5 years old he was the man in my life- as such I am choosing to keep the year the same as his other two children.  Tonight I missed a wedding I really wanted to go to.  We had spoken to our Rabbi and he had said that since I had taken it on as a chumra, I could just as easily "let myself off the hook for the night" so to speak.

I felt like I could not let myself do it.  I accepted this on myself, now I am going to see it through.  What sort of honour is it to him if I let it go because there is something I would rather do more?  Our Rabbi was, apparently, surprised not to see me there.  Either he does not know me as well as I thought he did, or he has never come across anyone quite as stubborn.

Please Abba be davening on my behalf in shamayim.  I know I am doing my very best to show you the kavod you deserve, and I  *may* not have always showed when you were alive, down here.

1 comment:

  1. Yishar kochech.
    I would have done the same thing.
    Not a lot of people would have.

    ReplyDelete